Skip to main content

Golden Memory

 Repost... June 16, 2010

It's funny how life flows in circles sometimes, how what your child is experiencing brings up memories of your similar experience. Sometimes I get to re-live great moments through my children besides making great current memories with my children. I love being a Mother. Their are certain stages in a child's life that are very tough on us but the rewards out weigh the bad. I have been fortunate to have wonderful boys. 

My son Doshie is camping with a group of friends. It is to celebrate one or more of the group of friends graduating. They rented a cabin and have spent the night both Friday and Saturday and should be on their way home now. I can't wait to hear of his experience. I thought of him a lot yesterday when most of our state was under a tornado watch, you know a typical Mother's concern. I didn't fear for him because I knew he would be fine. However it did bring back memories of a wonderful time I had. Memorial weekend 1983, my sophomore year. 

One of my dearest friends had just found out she would be moving to Mississippi soon. We had only met that year but there was this instant bond. It was as if she was my missing sister. She thought it would be great to go camping Memorial Weekend. It was just the two of us. Her parents had a membership at the camping facility but they couldn't come. In order for us to stay, we had to say her older sister would be staying. I remember packing with such excitement, getting away and camping for my first time. We set up the tent, I can't recall now if we had help or not, ahem...it's only been a few years now. I remember how great it felt having dinner outdoors, just the two of us... no adults. We went swimming. There were other teenagers there too and they had some sort of club house that we went to and hung out for awhile. Then it came time to sleep. I remember us chatting and chatting until we couldn't talk anymore. 

The air the next morning felt so fresh. That day I can't exactly remember if we had just finished swimming or if we were getting ready to go swimming but I do recall a rush of people coming into the bathroom and they were in a panic. De Ann and I just looked at one another trying to figure out what was going on. A tornado warning, one was spotted and heading our direction. The bathroom was one of the shelters for everyone to go in case of an emergency. I remember taking a peek outside and the sky seemed so dark. We could hear the wind blowing fiercely. After we got the all is clear notice, we rushed to our camp side only to find part of the tent had fallen and everything inside was soaking wet. We were unable to stay as planned. 

It was just a matter of a few weeks before she moved. I remember painting a sun rise and printing the poem "Nothing Gold Can Stay" by Robert Frost. This poem meant so much to us. 

Nature's first green is gold, Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leafs a flower; But only so an hour. Then leaf subsides to leaf. So Eden sank to grief, So dawn goes down to day. Nothing gold can stay.

We lost touch with one another. I thought of her often. In 2003, just a matter of months before I left my ex, I received a call from her. She had found me, in our conversation I found out she still had that painting and it was in her kitchen. It warmed my heart to know this. Unfortunately I left that home in such a hurry I didn't get her phone number, so I lost this golden friend once more. 

Thanks to Facebook we re-united as friends once more. This time I plan never to lose her again. I do hope my son Doshie is creating a golden memory this weekend. One he can reflect back on with fond memories just as I have done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wordless Wednesday #2

  Joining blog hop... Wordless Wednesday. Come join the fun by clicking the link. Many Blessings, Jolene 🦋 

Slow Down - Stay A Little Bit

Repost: March 12, 2017 previous blog Now, I look forward to the season of life I am in. Watching my boys becoming responsible young adults/adults. I love the relationship I have with them but I also miss the days they are little from time to time. Life is definitely changing, always changing.  I love my new position at work.  I am finally getting used to the "normal" hours and I will be able to dedicate a couple of nights to my blogging again and reading my favorite bloggers/friends. In the midst of it all, I have seriously became old ... my body aches so much any more.  I am seeing a doctor to assist with the pain.  The end of March and the beginning of April are my worst time of year.  This year I hope I am able to concentrate on the memories and love of my Dad and concentrate on Emily's baby shower for our new little soon grandchildren. I think I am battling some Empty Nest feelings.  My boys are growing up and they reach out to me very little.  NoNo will be graduating

Thankful Thursday ~ Sierra Jo Dominguez

I have been making my plans to complete our yarden next year. Yes, that was a "y" in place of a "g".  I follow Sierra Jo Dominguez on Instagram. She is another person who saved me. I love following her. She is a beautiful soul. She has fake cooking shows, backyard gardening, home repair and remodeling, she shares her life, and her new passion for pottery. She is a Christian as well and just like Tia Bee Stokes, she is real and spreads positive message. Sierra shared how she was creating a yarden and she inspired me not only to increase my Butterfly Garden but rebuild the backyard to our yarden last Summer, I will later post about the beginning of the yarden. I am excited to see her yarden but it has been placed on hold because growing a pottery business takes a lot of time when she is also a Mama of seven children, two of then are toddlers. She is homes schooling the children.  Our kitten, Bella even loves Sierra Jo Dominguez.  This was her small box of Joy. I bough