Skip to main content

Las Vegas 2012~ Day 3

Our last day in Las Vegas we had to check out of our room by 11 am and our flight was not until 1 am on Sunday.  We decided to rent a car so we could get around a little.  A car gave us a little freedom and gave our feet a break.  This day the temperature was 100 degrees and it was hot.  The main difference from hot weather at home is there was no humidity, so we did not feel sticky.  We met my friend Sarah at an In and Out burger joint.  The Mister wanted to eat here; he had heard they have the best burgers.  It was good, but I was thrilled to meet Sarah.  This is the first time we have met in person.  She and a few other women I met on a diet website.  We became very close and these women provided so much support while I was planning my first son's graduation and wedding at the same time.  The events were only 2 months apart.  I was a hot mess, especially trying to find my dress.

We met up with Sarah and her two adorable children.  We recognized one another immediately and as soon as we were close enough she reached out to hug me.  It was so great.  We talked and talked, no one would have known this was the first time the two of us ever met face to face.  There was never an awkward quiet moment.  Other than poor Mister sitting in the sun, it was a great time.

After lunch we drove to see the Hoover Dam.  Actually it is not very far from Las Vegas.  Here are some pictures of the landscape as Todd drove.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Once we parked we went to an observation area in the parking lot.  Immediately I started to take pictures.  It was so beautiful!  I wish I could load my panorama shots but blogger will not allow me.
 








I was so glad that the Mister had this idea.  We wanted to walk across the dam it's self so we drove to the other side.  Unfortunately, I could not make the tour.  There were so many stairs, I knew my feet and legs would allow this, especially my knees.  They were aching for the first time.  He understood and said he was fine with it, as long as we were able to make it to the damn.  I was okay with walking to the other side if he wished but he was happy with going half way.  Once we were on the dam, I took some more pictures.

The view looking straight down from the top of the dam



We both look so exhausted here.
The Hoover Bypass was opened October 26, 2010.  I think this is one of my favorite shots.  I love the colors.  I think this may be canvas worthy.
We drove over the bypass, thinking we would have more photo opportunity because we could see people walking across it, however the bypass had very high barriers and the people walking was from the paid tour.  There was no way the Mister or I could make that walk.  No way at all, even he was exhausted and aching.  This is why we only went half way over the dam.

We then went over to the flag area monument.  It was so beautiful and more than just a flag staff.  The person who designed this compared the damn to the great pyramids, with the thought that this area would survive a natural disaster and be a meeting place of people when the time comes.  Within this display there are so many facts of interest.  Next to the flags are two bronze winged figures, they looked like a combination of an angle and an eagle in my opinion.  They had a little story of good luck by rubbing the feet of the angels as you pass.  The toes glisten in the sunlight being polished by visitors rubbing them.


The base of the monument is a star and planetary chart.  It is a map of where the planets were aligned and the stars the day of the dedication.  Near the center is a compass with the signs of the zodiac surrounding the compass.
Behind the flag pole is a wall with many plaques regarding the building of the dam.  One was for the 96 men who died during the construction of the dam.  This is a very inspiring monument, so much beauty.

 
 
I loved the pictures I took looking up at the flag.
 
Near the entry of the Hoover Damn is another sculpture of a one of the men who worked on the construction.  This was dedicated on the 60th Anniversary of the Hoover Dam
Did you know that the Hoover Dam was the first single structure to contain more masonry than the Great Pyramid?

After seeing the Hoover Dam we went back to Las Vegas and parked at the Excalibur.  We played a little black jack.  We then wanted to have a nice dinner since it was our last night there.  We ate at Buca di Beppo; this was the best meal the entire time.  After dinner we thought we would just go to the airport and check in.  We had about 2 hours before our flight and we thought we could rest while we were there.  However we had drama there, a flight before ours.  Two women were kicked off the flight or not allowed to board because they were drunk.  Oh my goodness, one had everyone waiting laughing.  She was so crazy.

Many Blessings,
Jolene

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wordless Wednesday #2

  Joining blog hop... Wordless Wednesday. Come join the fun by clicking the link. Many Blessings, Jolene 🦋 

Slow Down - Stay A Little Bit

Repost: March 12, 2017 previous blog Now, I look forward to the season of life I am in. Watching my boys becoming responsible young adults/adults. I love the relationship I have with them but I also miss the days they are little from time to time. Life is definitely changing, always changing.  I love my new position at work.  I am finally getting used to the "normal" hours and I will be able to dedicate a couple of nights to my blogging again and reading my favorite bloggers/friends. In the midst of it all, I have seriously became old ... my body aches so much any more.  I am seeing a doctor to assist with the pain.  The end of March and the beginning of April are my worst time of year.  This year I hope I am able to concentrate on the memories and love of my Dad and concentrate on Emily's baby shower for our new little soon grandchildren. I think I am battling some Empty Nest feelings.  My boys are growing up and they reach out to me very little.  NoNo will be graduating

Thankful Thursday ~ Sierra Jo Dominguez

I have been making my plans to complete our yarden next year. Yes, that was a "y" in place of a "g".  I follow Sierra Jo Dominguez on Instagram. She is another person who saved me. I love following her. She is a beautiful soul. She has fake cooking shows, backyard gardening, home repair and remodeling, she shares her life, and her new passion for pottery. She is a Christian as well and just like Tia Bee Stokes, she is real and spreads positive message. Sierra shared how she was creating a yarden and she inspired me not only to increase my Butterfly Garden but rebuild the backyard to our yarden last Summer, I will later post about the beginning of the yarden. I am excited to see her yarden but it has been placed on hold because growing a pottery business takes a lot of time when she is also a Mama of seven children, two of then are toddlers. She is homes schooling the children.  Our kitten, Bella even loves Sierra Jo Dominguez.  This was her small box of Joy. I bough